Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Playing with my first radio

So I'm sitting here not really knowing what I'm doing, it's just after 3:30 A.M. (I work nights so I'm up this time of night) and I'm just scanning the airwaves.  So far the only voice I've heard is the weather forecast from the automated NOAA broadcast.  I have heard some Morse code, but since I haven't learned any Morse yet (I'll learn that once I get the hang of everything else) I just let the scan keep going.  I'm also getting a lot of static, I've adjusted the squelch up and down and it's not helping, so I have no idea.

Hopefully I'll hear something soon, I've made two full loops through the spectrum and I'm on my third now.  Oh well I'll keep studying my book, and try to figure all this Ham stuff out, the key is to remember I don't know how everything works yet so don't get discouraged.

P.S. I know I'm not allowed to broadcast since I don't have my license yet, once I can figure out how to do it I'm going to disable the PTT just to be safe, until then I'm being very careful how I hold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment